This pandemic library/seed swap is in Roath, between the playing fields and the pleasure gardens. I will endeavour to swap some seeds for some watermelon seeds (if they are still there next week!)
Today I picked out all the bits of root and grass from the greenhouse, along with a lot of rocks - although there's plenty more there! I put most of the rocks in a channel against the building wall, for that extra drainage from the indoor tap. I brought in a couple of the paving slabs, and I've laid them out in the greenhouse as an idea of what it would look like paved. I've picked up some weed resisting liner to go underneath the paving slabs, as I see that I previously brought liner suitable for flowers and beds, rather than stones and high traffic...
Soil and chippings arrived today, so I moved them (soil was down by the community garden plots gave, and the chippings were up by The Dairy). I screwed together the herb veg bed and filled it with soil (I mixed in some sand for that extra drainage) I mixed 3 spades of SS2 soil to one spade insole soil to one spade of sharp sand and topped up the veg beds with it. Mixing them together in that half builders bag you can see in the pic. I planted (!) some more lettuce as the slugs had eaten all the shoots. I've planted them in a balsa wood tray thing that the veg sometimes comes in for the cafe. It'll be kept off the floor... I also planted some broad beans and some peas to see what would happen. They're planted in little cardboard pots. I moved some paving slabs into the greenhouse from the Dairy.
Finished digging the drainage trench alongside the long side of the greenhouse. Dug and added sand to the bit of ground between beds. I realise that this might well be wasted work, but if we decide to place the beds differently it'll pay off. If nothing else it'll make laying the paving slabs a bit easier. Behold all the mess! Widened and dug out a bit more the flower bed on top of the slope - now known at the water tower bed. There's a flipping great big budleia in there, so I've chopped it and damaged it as much as I can. I might keep on going back to it, but for the moment it's too big for me to take out in one go. I sanded the flower bed again and added some of those chicken manure pellets to the flower bed and ADDED A PLANT. I did a brief tidy of the greenhouse Also dug up some of these leatherjack type things, and saw a ladybug.
Comments
Post a Comment